The Fair at the PNE will open its gates to eager crowds who await the fantastic food, awesome exhibitions, and super Summer Night Concerts! Here is how to get discount PNE tickets. Continue reading “How to Get Discount PNE Tickets”
In addition to all the PNE fair classics that are set to return this year, keep an eye out for insane items like Cricket Caramel Apples, a twist on a Fair classic, which mixes sustainable eating with an iconic snack! Our Caramel Apple is rolled in salty, oven-roasted Entomo Farm crickets to create a sweet and salty delight that will add a bit of crunch for the courageous. Continue reading “Crazy Food Creations at the PNE”
The Honda Celebration of Light makes its highly anticipated return to the skies above English Bay this Saturday as Team South Africa,represented by Fireworks for Africa, kicks off the three-day festival. The fireworks performance is just the finale of all the entertainment the festival has to offer throughout the day.
Continue reading “Honda Celebration of Light Returns”
Vancouver, BC – In one of the biggest displays of all things Italian outside Italy, Commercial Drive will be transformed on Sunday, June 8 for the 5th Annual Italian Day. As one of Vancouver’s most celebrated cultural festivals, Italian Day is a showcase of classic style, masterful design and superior quality that represents ‘Made in Italy.’ From inventions to Italian goods to lifestyle products, this year’s Italian Day celebrates everything that makes Italy unique – many of which are found in our very own backyard.
Last year, 300,000 attendees took over The Drive with a passion to embrace Italian culture and celebrate the contributions made to this city by Italian immigrants and subsequent generations of Italian-Canadians. Similar numbers are expected for this year’s festivities with activities that are fun for the whole family.
Event: Italian Day on the Drive
Location: Commercial Drive (which will be closed to motorized traffic with all festivities positioned along The Drive from 4th Avenue to Parker Street)
Date: Sunday, June 8, 2014
Time: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Recognized as Vancouver’s very own ‘Little Italy’, The Drive will be transformed into a vibrant street festival, with the goal of sharing the quality and wealth of Italian culture with Vancouver’s multi-cultural community. From food to performing arts, fashion, merchants and activities, Italy’s unmatched sense of style will be the centerpiece at this year’s event, which gets bigger and better each year.
NEW for 2014 Italian Day:
- ‘Made in Italy’ Museum – A large, walk-through display featuring various inventions and products created/designed by Italians that are part of our everyday lives
- La Festa della Repubblica Tent – Stop by the tent after 2:00 pm (located at 2nd and Commercial) to celebrate Italy’s National Day and discover more about Italy’s culture and lifestyle. You will also learn about the upcoming Expo Milano 2015, which has the theme of Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life. The Expo Milano 2015 will take a deeper look at problems of nutrition and the resources of our planet, which are major challenges that are relevant to everyone today.
- Book signing by Pino Posteraro (Cioppino’s Restaurant) – Chef of the Year (2014 Vancouver Magazine Awards) Pino Posteraro will be signing his book: Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill
- Fashion Show by Romielle Designs with Kalena Shoes – Local mother/daughter designer team (Anastacia and Irina Shorohov) will show off their 50s-inspired Euro/Sophia Loren women’s couture collection with Kalena Shoes – a long-standing family-run Commercial Drive business – which will provide shoes to complete the ultra-feminine looks. Established in 1967, Kalena’s was named after the owner’s hometown in the Molise region of Italy and is proud to offer the largest selection of Italian shoes and accessories in Vancouver.
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Player Appearances – Players from the Vancouver Whitecaps FC will be on-site with the goal of entertaining kids and adults alike
- Fiat, Vespa and Ducati, oh my! – These gorgeous Italian cars will be on display inside the ‘Made in Italy’ Museum
Back by Popular Demand:
- Two main stages – Featuring presentations, music and dancing throughout the day
- Italian-inspired food contests – You don’t want to miss out on pasta eating and grape stomping
- Little Italy Kids Zone – Engage your little ones with arts, crafts and games
- Bocce Court – Show off your bocce skills, located at 3rd and Commercial
- Opera – Be mesmerized by a performance by the Vancouver Opera
- Italian folkloric dance and choirs – Stomp along as adults and children alike keep alive the culture and traditions of the Veneto region of Italy
- Famee Furlane dancers – Witness the beautiful and gentle signature courting dance that originates from the region of Friuli called La Furlane
- Live Italian music – Pop and contemporary Italian music by showman Federico Fuoco and international singer/songwriter Carmelina Cupo never fails to capture the audience’s attention
- Langley Ukulele Ensemble – This Ukulele youth group is sure to draw a crowd!
- And much, much more!
As always, there will be food options galore to satisfy all of your Italian food cravings, including gelato, cannoli and pizza. Make sure you check out Bella Gelateria, Italia Bakery, Via Tevere, Dolce Amore and more. With its Tuscan-inspired patio setup and authentic Italian cuisine, Federico’s Supper Club is just one of the many Commercial Drive restaurants that will be extending its business with an outdoor patio so you can take in some sun and rest your feet. Italian associations, guest vendors and food trucks will line the street with authentic style food and merchandise.
This year, partial proceeds of funds raised from Italian Day’s raffle will support Templeton High School’s SummerVision Arts Program for at-risk youth. The mastermind behind the program is Jimmy Crescenzo – a local actor and drama teacher at Templeton High School who is highly involved in keeping at-risk youth off of Vancouver streets. Raffle tickets are currently on sale now at select Vancity locations and will also be sold throughout the day with four generously donated prizes – the grand prize is a trip for two to anywhere in Italy (valued at $3,200), courtesy of long-standing Commercial Drive merchant Columbus World Travel.
For more information, visit italianday.ca.
**directly for press release**
VANCOUVER – Gold-winning Tojo’s of Vancouver Magazine’s “Best upscale Japanese 2013” Restaurant Awards has combined forces with five of Vancouver’s top Japanese restaurants for the first ever Sakura Night (Sakura means cherry tree in Japanese), hosted by Tojo’s Restaurant on March 30, 2014. Tojo’s Restaurant, Zen Japanese Restaurant, RawBar at Fairmont Pacific Rim, Seventeen89, Miku Restaurant and Zakkushi will be creating seasonal dishes to guarantee an extraordinary standing dinner experience in the elegant ambience of Tojo’s.
This special evening event opens the 8th annual Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (VCBF) while creating delicious culinary memories of Japanese cuisine. Nobu Ochi from Zen will entice appetites with Ocean Wise-certified ingredients and RawBar’s Takayuki Omi will create sensory experiences for the palate with flavours of the Pacific Northwest. Daryle Nagata (Seventeen89) will tantalize taste buds with his combination of fresh and seasonal local ingredients, Kazuya Matsuoka will present Miku’s famed aburi (flame-seared) sushi and Masahito Iwamoto will be grilling Zakkushi’s mouth-watering yakitori skewers in-house, sharing the authentic cherry blossom festival experience from Japan with guests.
“We are so excited to be a part of the Festival and celebrate our cherry blossom cultural experience with the creation of Sakura Night ~ a new evening opening to the festival. It celebrates a very important part of our Japanese culture and gives our best local Japanese chefs a chance to share with pride their incredible food with Festival fans” Chef Hidekazu Tojo.
As Canada’s only cherry blossom festival, the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival is a charitable, not-for-profit society celebrating our urban nature and the fragile, fleeting beauty of the cherry blossom. Funds raised at Sakura Night enable the Festival to continue to deliver meaningful and accessible, quality programming to strengthen citizen’s connection and engagement in our diverse communities. VCBF speaks to multiculturalism, the arts, community engagement, and to the environment by helping to sustain and renew Vancouver’s cherry tree heritage.
Date: Sunday, March 30, 2014
Time: 6:30pm to 9:00pm
Cherry Blossom Martini Welcome followed by a standing dinner reception
Place: Tojo’s Restaurant, 1133 West Broadway, Vancouver
Tickets: Limited tickets at $150 with a $100 tax receipt issued by VCBF for purchase at VCBF.ca
About the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival:
Vancouver’s signature springtime event, the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival is a month-long celebration of the cherry tree through unique cultural programming including the performing and visual arts, literary, film screenings, design installations, exhibitions, culinary and creative cultural arts. The Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival is a charitable, not-for-profit society whose mandate is to sustain and renew Vancouver’s cherry tree heritage while educating and engaging community in celebration of the fragile beauty of the cherry blossom.
source: press release
Thursdays and Fridays
January 23 – February 28, 2014
Studio 1, CBC Vancouver Broadcast Centre
Rock, blues, country, classical, electronic…the 5th annual Toque Sessions has all the genres you’ll need to satisfy your musical palate. Thursdays and Fridays this winter, we invite you to join us at the CBC Vancouver Broadcast Centre for a FREE concert.
Seating is FIRST COME-FIRST SEATED, we are not taking reservations.
A RUSH LINE will be in place for every concert beginning at 6:30 PM outside 700 Hamilton Street.
Seating is limited so please arrive early.
Full Concert Schedule On CBC, Events
Annual Free Ice Skating Returns to Robson Square Nov 28
Get ready to tie up those your laces girls and boys it’s Robson Square free ice rink returns.
Skate and helmet rentals, and a concession stand are available on site, skate rentals are $4 or bring your own.
Robson Square Ice Rink Hours & Location
Below Robson Street, between Hornby and Howe
Sunday to Thursday 9:00am-9:00pm,
Friday and Saturday 9:00am to 11:00pm