The culinary countdown has officially begun and it’s time to start prepping. Tourism Vancouver’s annual Dine Out Vancouver Festival is just over one month away – and it’s the perfect excuse for locals to rejuvenate after the post-holiday slump by indulging in a culinary staycation. With event tickets and hotel bookings available for purchase this week, diners can start building a personalized experience guaranteed to satisfy tummies, pique the palate and create unforgettable Dine Out memories. The full list of participating restaurants and their menus will be released to the public on January 6.
This year’s menu of festival events is packed with out-of-the-oven experiences crafted by Vancouver’s top chefs, restaurateurs and food experts. The carefully curated mix of brand-new events and returning favourites includes:
• Soup Project . At Dine Out’s kickoff event, 50 of Vancouver’s top chefs will each toss an ingredient into a boiling pot – and the entire city is invited to taste the result. Talk about a food-fuelled adventure!
• Six Course Discourse. Curated and emceed by popular local blogger Follow Me Foodie, this delectable discussion features six of Vancouver’s top chefs – including Vikram Vij, Hamid Samilian and John Bishop – chewing the fat about all things culinary. Reception and wine tasting included.
• Film Feast: Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Grab your gourmet popcorn and journey to Japan during the Shangri-La’s exclusive screening of this foodie film classic in the hotel’s private 36-seat theatre – then settle in for a Jiro-inspired four-course feast at MARKET by Jean-Georges.
• The Snowshoe Fondue. There’s nothing cheesy about this cozy snowshoe and fromage-focused fondue at Grouse Mountain.
• Plated & Paired at the Public Market. A rare, after-hours opportunity to taste the best of Granville Island paired with BC VQA wines.
• Street Food City III. Third time’s the charm for this lunchtime assembly of Vancouver’s diverse collection of food carts, which will congregate at the Vancouver Art Gallery plaza.
Hotels taking part in the 2014 Dine Out Vancouver Festival feature rooms priced at $78, $108 and $138 (per room, per night), and many have also developed palate-pleasing culinary packages that include three-course dinners, luxurious accommodations and handy amenities like valet parking and late check-out. Dine Out room bookings are available for stays taking place January 17 through February 2, and can be booked through www.dineoutvancouver.com.
“We are very excited with this year’s culinary event schedule and hotel room offers,” said Lucas Pavan, festival coordinator. “The blend of perennial favourites and inventive new experiences makes Dine Out Vancouver Festival the most interesting food festival in North America. It’s the perfect excuse for anyone who loves food and drink to indulge in a culinary holiday – after all, whatever your craving or budget, Dine Out satisfies.”
About Dine Out Vancouver Festival:
Presented by Tourism Vancouver, Dine Out Vancouver Festival is a city-wide celebration of eating out, attracting tens of thousands of local and visiting foodies to Vancouver’s exceptionally diverse collection of restaurants for 17 days. Now in its 12th year, Canada’s largest restaurant festival allows diners to sample menus from hundreds of restaurants around the city, all for a prix fixe cost (price points are $18, $28 and $38 per person) and many with suggested BC VQA pairings (available at an additional cost). Dine Out also features special hotel room rates and packages, plus a full menu of unique food-themed events, seminars and activities. Dine Out Vancouver Festival 2014 runs from January 17 to February 2. www.dineoutvancouver.com